Tennis Dumfries & Galloway are invited every year to enter a team of 6 boys and 6 girls into the Scottish Inter-District Team Championships, which usually runs during the Easter holidays and is a residential event with players staying onsite for 2 or 3 nights. Teams consist of 2 boys and 2 girls in each of the three age groups 12u, 15u, 18u. District squads represent the first tier of the National performance pathway, with many District squad players continue to progress to County Cup selection for South of Scotland County.
Our selection criteria is listed below.
SCOTTISH INTER-DISTRICT TEAM SELECTION CRITERIA 2023
The Tennis Dumfries & Galloway Selection Committee, comprising of Keith Thom (Chairman), Lister McKiddie (Secretary), Geoff Legg (Treasurer) and Michael Goldie (League & Competition Secretary and Lead Coach) and they are responsible for making the 12-player selection, based on the following criteria:
DISTRICT TRAINING SELECTION – (18U – 2005 to 2007, 15U – 2008 to 2010 & 12U – 2011 to 2012)
(These years will change every year when the document is reviewed.)
The training sessions will usually be January, February and March of each year before the event, which runs in April during the Easter holidays.
Players of the above age groups will be selected for training sessions based on the criteria below:
- Top 2 or 3 players based on age parameters above, boys and girls. Selection for training is based on ranking points at the end of December and they will automatically be invited to train,
If additional number can be accommodated at a venue, then we will continue to select through the ranking points at the time of selection, up to 18 players maximum and they will be made aware that only 12 players can be selected for the event,
- Additional players can be selected based on performance and application in previous district training sessions,
- Player’s results at National/Regional tournaments,
- Player’s commitments to playing tournaments regular with encouraging results.
DISTRICT SELECTION – (18U – 2005 to 2007, 15U – 2008 to 2010 & 12U – 2011 to 2012)
Players of the above age groups will be selected for the district team based on the following, if available:
- Top 2 players per age groups within their year born parameter, 2 boys and 2 girls in each, based on ranking points at time of selection will automatically be invited first. Team selection date will be based on the results to include the last weekend in February (26th), with these being calculated on the Friday after this (3rd March). That gives us a further 4 weekends for training, but players will be asked in December if they are available for selection during the event dates,
If any of the top 4 are unavailable, boys or girls, then a wildcard selection will be made based on either,
- The next players in the ranking form table can be considered,
- A player with good performances and/or results at National/Regional tournaments,
- A player’s commitments to playing tournaments or district league matches with good results,
- A player who in the past has performed well in previous events or training sessions but may have missed parts of the season through injury, exam periods or other personal reasons.
We are fully aware that the current ranking points system doesn’t always work well with this event. Players gather points by playing in competitions as long as they get a win. This could mean an 11or 12 year-old player sitting top of the 18s and under ranking table if the older players haven’t played as many events.
Therefore, to keep the team age groups as strong as possible, players will be prioritised in their relevant playing age group and only asked to play up if that suits the strength of the team.
We would also say;
- We expect the highest standards of behaviour both on and off the court. Player’s behaviour not only at training sessions but, at all tournaments and events during the previous 12 months will be taken into consideration when making selections.
- Player’s effort, work ethics, commitment and dedication will be an important consideration,
- An ability to be a supportive and cooperative team player and a positive ambassador to our Dumfries & Galloway District Team will be essential.
Created 5th January 2023 – then next review is November 2023.